SIGN UP TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER

Published: 2019-11-26

Corvus Energy and SEC Marine to cooperate on a hybrid SES project

Technology Corvus Energy  and SEC Marine to cooperate on a hybrid SES project

Photo: Corvus Energy

The companies signed a contract for the of supply the energy storage system (ESS) for the world's first hybrid surface effect ship (SES) for crew transfer.

It is meant as a direct response to the industrywide push to develop and deploy innovative technologies that reduce CO2 emissions. The vessel will be employed for the servicing of offshore windfarms. Two additional companies were involved in the design process, CWind and ESNA.

The ship will be built at Wight Shipyard Co in the UK and is expected to service the Borssele 1 and 2 offshore windfarms located 23 kilometers off the Dutch coast from mid-2020.

Trygve Halvorsen Espeland, naval architect, ESNA, said, "We see that hybrid propulsion in vessels like offshore wind crew transfer vessels enables a greener footprint […]. The vessels have the benefit of range with the combustion engine, while the batteries provide both increased speed with power boost, peak shaving and reduced fuel consumption. Moreover, the engines will have fewer running hours and the silent hours on board will be appreciated by the crew and passengers. The vessel design will accommodate further developments in hybrid propulsion and battery technology, ensuring it has the capability of being developed into a totally carbon-free solution in the future."

The design features two catamaran hulls, closed area between and an inflated rubber bag in the stern which will support up to 80% of the vessel weight when filled with air. The remaining 20% will be supported by hull buoyancy. Less hull resistance will enable higher vessel speed and less wave contact give reduced motion for the crew.

Kim Klokkervold, Senior Sales Manager, Corvus Energy, added, "The electrification of crew transfer boats and smaller workboats has only just begun. We are confident that we will see a massive shift from diesel to battery-hybrid powered propulsion on all kinds of smaller workboats due to substantial benefits and increased focus on reducing emissions."

Partnership Events
(C) 2020. All rights reserved.
Be sure to take a look at our cookie policy
Designed by LemonMind.com